Present: Steve Cook, Lillyanne Daigle, Scott Dance, David DeJesus, Tim Fitzgerald, Ed Fortney, Dan Gabor, Don Griesheimer, Mark Gruenberg, Fatima Hussein, Katie Mettler, Justin Moyer, Sam Nelson, Mark Pattison, Jeremy Sprinkle
Excused: Elise Bryant, Ben Cooper, Lydia Ealey, Fred Kunkle, Bill O’Meara, Carolyn Steptoe, Michelle Wang
Staff & Guests: Cet Parks, Paul Reilly, (Marian Fadel, Hannah Roe, Joe Moyer – AFT-NEROP), Michael Szpak (FLOC)
Summary of Financial Highlights – as of March 19, 2019
- Treasurer Jason Moyer provides update on bank financials provides top line summary of January 2019 financials. No action needed.
FY 18 Audited Financial Statements – Bill Monroe
- Discussed during GMM on 4/6/19, auditor Bill Monroe reviewed the audit report. Don Griesheimer motioned to adopt the audit report, seconded by Mark Pattison. After further discussion the motion to adopt carried.
AAA Invoice for Election Services
- No action required
- Cet Parks discusses. No action required.
II. Membership Report & Stats
- Mark Pattison motions to approve, seconded by Mark Gruenberg. Motion passes.
III. Executive Director’s Report & Staff
- Paul Reilly requests approval of the AFT-NEROP bargaining team (Hannah Roe, Joseph Moyer, Amy Hale, Margaret Grumeretz, Marcelle Grair, Paul Reilly). Mark Pattison motions seconded by Mark Gruenberg. Motion passes.
- Cet Parks requests retroactive authority to file ULP for the Chesapeake guild unit. Mark Gruenberg motions seconded by Justin Moyer. Motion passes.
IV. Old Business
V. New Business
- AFT-NEROP – Marian Fadel Arbitration Appeal
- Joe Moyer (AFT-NEROP) and Marian Fadel present grievance issues and arbitration appeal followed by discussion.
- Mark Pattison motions to vote on whether to take this case to arbitration, seconded by Mark Gruenberg. Motion to arbitrate fails.
- Cet Parks will explain procedures to appeal the EC decision if Marian deicides to exercise this right.
News Guild’s Dues to DC JWJ
- Sam Nelson motions to approve annual dues payment of $200, seconded by Dan Gabor. After discussion, motion passes.
Washington Post Organizing Event
- Katie Mettler (Washington Post) requests $2,000 to support relaunch and rebrand of the Washington Post Guild unit, leading up to an organizing event and recruitment drive. Funds will be used to rent space, provide food and beverages and promotional items to support membership drive. Dan Gabor motions to approve, seconded by Jazmin Gargoum. After additional discussion motion passes.
AFL-CIO Web Conference
- Dan Gabor moves to approve an annual cost of $500 to support an online communications tool which engage membership, seconded by Mark Gruenberg.
- After additional discussion Jason Moyer calls the question, motion passes. Motion passes to approve subscription to AFL-CIO Web Conference tool.
- Michael Szpak (FLOC) speaks to issue. Dan Gabor motions to support the Metropolitan Washington Council, AFL-CIO resolution endorsing the FLOC boycott of Vuse E-Cigarette, seconded by Jeremy Sprinkle. Motion passes (with abstentions among journalists noted).
Free Conference Call
- Deferred to next meeting
- EC approved Baltimore Sun units three year lease at last meeting at approximately $1,400 monthly. After further discussions, the actual cost is $1,500 monthly.
- Justin Moyer motions to approve up to $1,500 monthly lease for a three year lease modification, seconded by Don Gabor. Motion is approved.
- Dan Gabor motions to adjourn, seconded by Mark Gruenberg. Motion passes and meeting is adjourned at 1:00 PM.